No, not the fear of the ultimate ending
Binds or resides within;
It is the opposing voices cascading,
Confusing, crippling, caricaturing
Us and the peace within.
No, not the fear of a sickness
Troubles or tortures the heart;
It is our hopelessness,
A steady bleakness,
And the habitual surrendering of our craft.
No, not the fear of failure
Numbs or stuns the mind;
It is the snagging daily battle
Against the monsters of routine life;
Those are treacherous, lazy and anything but kind.
No, not the fear of the invisible
Tricks or fools us;
It is our way to define,
Design and create
The heroes, the villains and the fuss.
No, not the fear of the word fear
Lurks or creeps today;
It is our forgetfulness that steers…
… And suddenly, in haste one remembers
Fine-tuning life’s fears to Play.
- Regina Spektor’s Musical World and the Ephemeral Moments of Joy – Part I
- The Old Fortune-Teller’s Special Offer
- The Thousand Faces of Night – A Charcoal-Inked Raga
- Avicenna and the Turning Wheel
- Shakespeare’s Sonnet 107 and Timelessness